So ya found ya legs did ya?

'So ya all found your legs, did ya?' 'I am not the weird one without a car, anymore, am I?'. I can't lie, I felt slightly resentful that 'my place' was busier than usual. Today, I did my usual run, only different because now I have to make sure I pass everyone as quickly as I can, with as much distance as I can between them and me. As I run I wonder how much longer will I have this privilege, perhaps it won't be long until I will have to find comfort in running the stairs.

 My decision not to drive or to own a car was, when I was young and slightly more able to convince myself of my 'radical-isms', an environmental one. I had, long before all the hoo-har that goes on now- and before Greta - rudimentary knowledge that the planet is fucked, cheers Environmental Science degree! What do you do with that knowledge? On occasion I have done nothing, sometimes I have lived in mild but chronic panic and yet on the whole I have lived life a little differently - the best 'different' was not owning a car and living and working in the same area. I know I won't get a medal or any recognition for what has probably been the best decision in terms of living environmentally- but I am here asking for one... even if it is made of tin (recycles indefinitely I have been told). I think what I am trying to say, that in these times, when you are being allowed to feel like a hero for not venturing out the house, take pride in the small things that you've chosen to do in order to be (in your opinion) a better human being. After all, look around you, that's what is needed isn't it? Just a few ordinary folks who wake up and with the few resources at hand have the will and the desire to be a little bit of a better human than they are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Syntax Error

'Rona-Geddon..

The Some of it.