I like maths


I am currently in bed, given up on the day early (it's 8pm) with a huge pile of washing weighing annoyingly over my feet. I am too lazy to move it, but looking on the bright side; at least the clothes are clean. I wonder for a moment what lockdown is like to those who are paid, without work and without domestic work - I imagine having no such responsibilities can be quite disorientating, and could possibly be the reason why some celebrities may have lost footing with us down here on the ground. I am, on the other hand, pinned to earth - at least by my piles of (clean, damn you!) washing.

Today I had a loose list of things to do but they were all superseded by cheering up my poorly youngest - by fetching and carrying and watching two whole episodes of Doctor Who. Tidying about a bit, half-heartedly whilst dreaming for a domestic genie and trying to help my middle child plough through the work she has set for her to do from school. I think I started the day a little grey, and after I started 'helping' my child with her school work my mood went a little darker, and after I had finished trying to help her with her maths - my mood went vanta-black.

We share this in common, me and my middle child - we don't really speak 'maths'. Once upon a time, I spoke enough of it to pass my GCSE and of course I am fluent in the year one curriculum - but take me back up to GCSE level and there are a few things I've lost. 'Don't worry' I tell my middle child enthusiastically, 'We can google it'. I love a good internet search and have quite a few fond memories of discovering a whole barrage of entertaining facts - the internet is a great tool- unless, I have discovered you are googling maths.  It would appear, whilst knowledge is out there, you may only learn maths if you can tolerate turgidity, hyper-explanation and really bad powerpoints, dubbed over by a monotonal superbore. Before you mathematicians get all up in my grill with your digits and factors and x's = y, I don't speak maths but that isn't to say I don't appreciate it. There are people out there who are trying to answer The theory of Everything - through numbers and whilst I cannot begin to understand, it sounds pretty groundbreaking. Or remember the 90s and its obsession with fractals, now there's maths that can be screen printed on to a teeshirt, bloody marvelous! I do love a fibonacci sequence, mainly cos it makes a good tattoo but you get my drift- I don't think maths is boring per se.  So why, can someone explain to me - simply and to the point- leaving your shit powerpoint behind and perhaps with a bit of enthusiasm - is GCSE maths on the internet so unrelentingly awful?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Syntax Error

'Rona-Geddon..

The Some of it.