I had an appointment...

*
On Wednesday, I had an appointment. An actual time and date to be somewhere, not an artificially constructed one and an important one. I have actually tried to make such an appointment but somehow failed since 2017- I blamed work and being all busy and stuff, but in reality it is about me being unable to do a simple task without being distracted by doing something else. Right now, I have the perfect opportunity to work on that -you see I have a method. The task I need to do may only take 5 minutes but I have up to 12 hours to get it done. OK so it means in order to get all my jobs completed, 'lockdown' needs to last until 2028 but at least I am getting shit done and to hell with distractions. Talking about 'to do' lists, home-schooling is going well, or so we thought until we discovered a 53 point 'to do' list on Alexa which included the kinda things you'd associate with a Monty Python and Russ Meyers love child. At least we have ticked off part of the ICT year 6 curriculum:  select, use and combine a variety of software  on a range of digital devices to design and create ... ..., systems and content that accomplish given goals...

It is a curious feeling waking up and just knowing you have an appointment to keep, and a relatively new feeling for me. Normally the trail of post-its and iPhone reminders are the thing that prompt me into remembering.  On some occasions, I have stupidly set the reminder a little too much in front of the actual appointment, I have been reminded only to forget again -I dread to imagine how many appointments have been missed this way. I was exceptionally excited to be up and out and into town, that place that once held - budget tasty noodles, pretty dresses (just to look at mind) and a bustling market filled with coffee, characters and copies of cheap shark movies used to bribe the boy into making the walk to the market in the first place.  I walked there, dressed in a summer dress and a fleece, because it is still only April despite the sun that shines. Everything felt right with the world, such a curious feeling considering the times we are living through. I even took a cheeky big gulp of air under Neville Street bridge and smelt trains - I usually run through holding my breath so I don't OD on car fumes.

Keeping my appointment was easy, attending it was lovely. Everyone was just so gosh, darn pleasant. The man behind the desk asked me warmly and patiently if I had had, or been in contact with anyone with Covid-19 (suspected or otherwise) in the past 14 days. He read off a script in such a cordial manner that I was grateful for his mental fortitude to repeat words with such friendliness and warmth. I believe in kindness being best conveyed in the mundanity of our duties and remembered the many times I have been rescued from dark days by the gracious nature of a stranger.  And the jovial atmosphere continued with every staff member I encountered to such an extent that my veins gave up their pint, or 470ml for the pedant in us, in 3 minutes. As I sat back after parting with my lifeblood and being fed ginger nuts and cool squash I reflected on why it had taken me 2 years to make this appointment, I remember that I had told people that is was due to never being able to fit it around my work-load or my family commitments and my conscience hissed 'bullshit' through its gritted teeth.  Needless to say, when I got home I made my next appointment for August. I shall start writing post-its, and leaving reminders now.

*my 'fashion' stuff is over at https://www.instagram.com/roseytintz/







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Syntax Error

'Rona-Geddon..

The Some of it.